This unimaginable Cannoli Cake recipe transforms a bakery favourite into a pleasant, indulgent layer cake! Full with do-it-yourself mascarpone cannoli filling, fluffy vanilla cake layers, and creamy vanilla frosting dripping with chocolate ganache.
I wager you’ll love my Italian Cream Cake too, so make certain to take a look at that recipe!
An Extremely Indulgent Layer Cake You’ll Love!
Image a light-weight, creamy, chocolatey cannoli recent from the bakery. Now, think about it remodeled into layer upon layer of beautiful vanilla cake. Crammed with mascarpone cream, frosted, after which drenched in chocolate ganache. Are you prepared for this? As a result of right now we’re bringing this indulgent dessert fantasy to life! Meet: the Cannoli Cake.
That is really a showstopper of a cake. In seems, but in addition in its irresistible texture and candy, creamy taste. In the event you’ve been intimidated by layer desserts prior to now, let’s formally put these fears to relaxation. You’re going to like how simple this knockout dessert is to make!
What Is Cannoli Cake Made Of?
Like my Easy Chocolate Eclair Cake, this cannoli cake recipe channels the spirit of a basic pastry right into a decadent layer cake. Let’s go over every part you’ll want, and you should definitely confer with the recipe card for the total particulars when making your cake:
For the Cannoli Filling
- Mascarpone & Ricotta Cheese: These are two delicate, creamy Italian sorts of cheese that make up the pastry filling in a basic cannoli. Take word in case your ricotta cheese wants draining earlier than you start.
- Powdered Sugar: Additionally referred to as confectioner’s sugar. For sweetness with out the graininess of standard sugar.
- Vanilla Extract: Make certain to make use of pure vanilla extract. Alternatively, use Grand Marnier. The liqueur offers the filling a little bit additional citrus kick.
- Chocolate Chips: You’ll want the mini chocolate chips for this recipe. Common-sized chips shall be too chunky, and also you’ll lose among the filling’s delicate texture.
For the Cake
- Butter: I take advantage of salted butter within the cake to assist stability the general sweetness of the recipe. Take your butter out of the fridge to let it come to room temperature, to make it simpler to combine.
- Vegetable Oil: Vegetable oil offers a cake crumb irresistible moisture. You should use one other impartial oil like canola if wanted.
- Eggs: For construction and richness. Make sure to use recent eggs!
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder: For leavening.
- Cake Flour: Cake flour is decrease in protein and gluten than common all-purpose flour. I really like utilizing cake flour for this cannoli cake. It yields a extra ethereal, delicate cake that actually brings residence these fluffy cannoli pastry vibes.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk offers this vanilla cake the perfect depth of taste and a touch of tang.
For the Frosting
- Butter: Once more, deliver the butter in your frosting to room temperature.
- Powdered Sugar
- Milk: Entire milk or 2% milk has a superb quantity of fats content material, to make the frosting additional creamy.
- Vanilla Extract
You’ll additionally want something you’d like to make use of to garnish your cannoli cake. That is elective, however then once more, who can resist adorning a beautiful layer cake? Some options are mini chocolate chips, mini cannoli, toasted almonds, or orange zest. I’ve additionally included extra variations within the part additional on!
Learn how to Make It
This cannoli cake recipe comes collectively in three elements: the creamy mascarpone filling, the fluffy cake layers, and the do-it-yourself vanilla frosting. Let’s get began:
Put together the Cannoli Filling: Combine the mascarpone with ricotta, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Subsequent, fold within the chocolate chips, and transfer the filling into the fridge to sit back.
Make the Batter: Whereas the oven preheats to 350ºF, cream the butter and sugar collectively. Proceed to combine and add oil, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, then a pinch of salt. As soon as the combination is clean, alternate including buttermilk and flour till mixed. Bear in mind to scrape down the edges of the bowl alongside the way in which!
Bake: Divide the cake batter evenly between the three spherical pans lined with parchment paper. Bake till the facilities of the desserts are set. This normally takes about half an hour, give or take, however maintain an eye fixed. The desserts are accomplished when you may stick a toothpick into the center and it comes out clear. Go away the desserts to chill within the pans for a bit, then take away them from the pans to chill fully earlier than frosting.
Make the Frosting: Beat butter and sugar collectively, then add salt, milk, and vanilla, and blend till you have got a creamy consistency. Now that your desserts, filling, and frosting are prepared, it’s time to assemble your cannoli cake!
Assemble the Cake: Start with the primary cake layer, and high it with half of the chilled cannoli filling. Layer the second cake over high, adopted by the remaining filling. Lastly, high with the third cake layer. Utilizing an offset spatula, unfold the vanilla frosting excessive and sides of the cake to coat. Then garnish as you’d like!
I can’t resist an excuse to make use of my pourable chocolate ganache, so I went all out for the photographs. I then topped my drip cake with chocolate chips and precise mini cannoli pastries from my favourite bakery. Something goes! See the following part for much more concepts.
Useful Hints and Simple Variations
- Learn how to Know If the Ricotta Wants Draining: Retailer-bought ricotta cheese usually is available in brine or liquid. In the event you discover that the ricotta you have got is dry inside the bathtub, you may skip draining it. In any other case, to do away with any extra moisture within the cannoli filling, you’ll want to empty the ricotta first. To do that, place a sieve lined with cheesecloth over a bowl. Add the ricotta and let it drain, loosely coated, within the fridge for no less than 4 hours (you may even go away it in a single day).
- Don’t Overmix: Keep away from over-mixing your cake batter. You need that batter good and ethereal for deliciously delicate, mild cake layers. Make sure to solely combine till the components are simply mixed, as overdoing it might probably result in a denser cake.
- Make a Drip Cake: As you may see, this cannoli cake seems superb as a drip cake! It’s tremendous simple to do utilizing my pourable Chocolate Ganache Recipe. Extremely suggest!
- Toppings: You may be as modest or as all-out as you’d like with regards to adorning your cake. Prime your cake with a drizzle of Caramel Sauce or Easy Strawberry Syrup, crushed cookies, chopped nuts, whipped cream, or recent fruit.
- Frosting: Change up the vanilla frosting with other forms of do-it-yourself frosting. Strive my recipes for Heritage Frosting, Whipped Nutella Frosting, and even Perfect Party Frosting for an important day! You may also high your cake with swirls of buttercream (take a look at piping ideas in my recipe for Creamy Chocolate Frosting).
Does Cannoli Cake Have to Be Refrigerated?
Sure. All that cream requires chilling! Retailer your cannoli cake hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days. To take the chilliness off for serving, take the cake out about 10-Quarter-hour beforehand.
Can I Freeze Cannoli Cake?
Sure, it’s attainable to freeze this cake. I like to recommend freezing it after it’s frosted, however earlier than you’ve gone forward with any chocolate drips or garnishes.
I additionally counsel letting the frosting harden within the fridge for some time earlier than you wrap the cake. As soon as the frosting is about, wrap the cake in plastic wrap to maintain frozen for as much as 2 months. Thaw the cake within the fridge in a single day earlier than adorning and/or serving.
This irresistible Cannoli Cake recipe transforms a bakery favourite into an indulgent vanilla layer cake match for an important day! Full with creamy do-it-yourself chocolate chip mascarpone filling.
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, ricotta cheese, drained if wanted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or Grand Marnier)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Non-obligatory garnish – mini chocolate chips, mini cannoli, toasted almonds, orange zest
- Cannoli Filling: Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the mascarpone, ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Combine on medium velocity till clean. Flip the mixer to low and blend within the chocolate chips. Switch to a bowl, cowl, and chill till prepared to make use of.
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat 3, 8- inch spherical cake pans with nonstick spray. Minimize three items of parchment paper into 8- inch circles. Place the rounds within the bottoms of the pans. Coat once more with nonstick spray. Put aside.
- Within the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar collectively for two minutes. Add within the oil, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt, and proceed mixing for an extra minute till clean and mixed, scraping the edges of the bowl as mandatory to ensure every part is evenly blended.
- Flip the mixer to low velocity and in alternating parts add within the buttermilk and flour, starting and ending with flour. Combine for 30 seconds, till mixed and clean, once more, scraping the edges of the bowl as wanted.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into every ready pan.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or till the facilities of the desserts are set, and a toothpick inserted within the center comes out clear.
- Permit the desserts to chill within the pans for 10 minutes, after which take away the desserts and permit them to chill fully on a wire rack.
- Frosting: Within the clear bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the butter and powdered sugar on low for 30 seconds to mix. Add within the salt, milk, and vanilla, and blend on medium velocity for 1 – 2 minutes till creamy, scraping the underside and sides of the bowl as mandatory,
- Meeting: Place one cake spherical on a platter. Prime with half of the chilled cannoli combination. Repeat with one other cake spherical and high with the remaining cannoli combination. Place the remaining cake on high.
- Coat the edges and the cake with frosting. Garnish as desired.
- Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Earlier than serving, take away from the fridge and let sit for Quarter-hour to take the chilliness off.
- One other fairly adorning method might be a drip cake utilizing my pourable chocolate ganache recipe.
- Learn how to Know If the Ricotta Wants Draining: With most store-bought ricotta cheese you’ll need to pressure it in order that it’s thicker when used for pastry filling. (In case your ricotta already seems dry within the tub with out numerous extra moisture you may skip this!) Line a sieve with a cheesecloth and place it over a bowl. Loosely cowl and permit this to sit down within the fridge in a single day. In a pinch, 4 hours will normally do the trick for this recipe, as you aren’t utilizing a considerable amount of ricotta.
Key phrases: layer cake, vanilla cake recipe, simple vanilla cake recipe
Need To Save This Recipe?
Discover extra recipes like this:
Extra Fabulous Layer Cake Recipes
PIN for later: