Right here is the scenario because it stands on Wednesday, December 21.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is on his strategy to america to fulfill his counterpart Joe Biden and go to Congress, the White Home has mentioned – his first recognized abroad journey since Russia’s invasion on February 24.
- The US is predicted to announce $1.8bn in military assistance for Ukraine, US officers mentioned on situation of anonymity. The package deal would come with help and the Patriot missile system.
- Zelenskyy’s US go to additionally comes because the Congress is on the point of approving about $45bn extra in financial and military aid to Kyiv in a funding invoice.
- The World Financial institution mentioned it had authorised an extra financing package deal totalling $610m to handle pressing aid and restoration wants in Ukraine.
- There are conflicting views in Russia on whether or not or to not launch a renewed offensive in Ukraine, a senior US State Division official mentioned, reiterating that Washington would hold backing Kyiv no matter which situation performs out.
- Russia is planning to provide Iran superior navy elements in change for lots of of drones, British defence minister Ben Wallace mentioned, calling on the West to do extra to reveal the commerce.
- The EU international coverage chief advised Iran’s international minister that Tehran ought to instantly halt military support for Russia and inner repression in Iran.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin acknowledged that situations in Russian-held areas of Ukraine had been “extraordinarily troublesome” and ordered the strengthening of Russia’s borders.
- Zelenskyy paid a surprise visit to the front-line metropolis of Bakhmut, the place he hailed the “superhuman” troops waging a battle that has come to symbolise the grinding brutality of the battle.
- Electrical energy provides within the Kyiv area had been at a “crucial” degree, with lower than half the capital’s energy wants being provided following Russian missile and drone assaults, regional officers mentioned.
- Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal mentioned Ukraine ought to put together for brand spanking new Russian assaults on its vitality grid as a result of Moscow wished Ukrainians to spend the Christmas and New 12 months holidays in darkness.
- The World Well being Group mentioned 10 million folks, or roughly 1 / 4 of Ukraine’s inhabitants, could undergo from a psychological well being dysfunction because of the battle.