Right here is the state of affairs on Sunday, August 27, 2023.
- A Ukrainian commander combating within the south stated he believes Ukrainian forces have damaged via probably the most tough Russian line of defense and can now have the ability to advance extra rapidly. “We don’t cease right here,” stated the commander, who led a few of the troops into the village of Robotyne and makes use of the nom de guerre “Kombat”. “Subsequent we’ve got (the city of) Berdiansk, after which extra. I made it clear to my fighters directly: our objective is just not Robotyne, our objective is [the Sea of] Azov.”
- The Institute for the Research of Battle (ISW), a Washington, DC-based suppose tank, stated that Ukrainian forces have been pushing ahead within the Zaporizhia area after taking Robotyne earlier this week. The ISW additionally cited pro-Kremlin army bloggers expressing concern over an absence of Russian reinforcements and troop places within the space.
- Three Ukrainian pilots have been killed after two L-39 coach plane collided in midair in central Ukraine, the nation’s air pressure stated in an announcement. Among the many useless was Andrii Pilshchykov, one of many nation’s most well-known fighter pilots.
- Two folks have been killed and a 3rd wounded when Russian shelling hit a restaurant within the village of Podoly within the japanese Ukrainian area of Kharkiv, in line with native governor Oleh Syniehubov.
- Russia stated air defences introduced down a drone over Moscow in an assault that compelled authorities to briefly shut down all three main airports serving the capital.
- Vyacheslav Gladkov, the governor of Russia’s Belgorod area, accused Ukraine of utilizing “cluster munitions” in an assault in town of Urazovo, about 10km (6 miles) from the border, that injured six folks.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered fighters from the mercenary Wagner group to signal an oath of allegiance to the Russian state. The introduction of a compulsory oath for all personal army contractors is seen as a transparent transfer to deliver such teams below tighter state management.
- German journal Der Spiegel revealed a prolonged and detailed investigation into the assaults on the Nord Stream pipelines within the weeks following Russia’s full-scale invasion, saying that “a hanging variety of clues level to Ukraine”.
- Ukraine’s overseas ministry condemned as “categorically unacceptable” any continuation of European Union import restrictions on its grain when the present ban expires on September 15. There’s specific opposition in Poland, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary in direction of Ukrainian grain imports resulting from fears they might undercut native farmers.
- Russian Deputy Overseas Minister Sergey Ryabkov reiterated Moscow’s intention to take care of ties with Iran, after a report Washington had requested Tehran to cease promoting drones to Moscow. “There are not any adjustments and cooperation with Iran will proceed,” Ryabkov stated, in line with a report from Russian state information company RIA. “We’re unbiased states and don’t succumb to the dictates of america and its satellites.”
- Finland arrested an alleged member of an excessive right-wing army sub-unit of the Wagner mercenary pressure on fees of participation in a “terrorist group” following a request from Ukraine, in line with Finnish public broadcaster Yle. Finnish police are requesting that the 36-year-old Russian nationwide, recognized as Yan Petrovsky, be detained in preparation for his extradition.
- German prosecutors stated they have been investigating whether or not Russian journalist Elena Kostyuchenko, who’s now residing in hiding, was the sufferer of an tried homicide when she turned unwell final October. Kostyuchenko was one in every of three Russian unbiased journalists who have been apparently poisoned whereas overseas in an analogous interval.
- Wall Avenue Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich appealed towards a Russian courtroom’s resolution to increase his pre-trial detention by three months, in line with paperwork revealed by a Moscow courtroom. The 31-year-old US citizen was arrested in March on espionage fees, which he has denied.
- New Zealand Immigration Minister Andrew Little stated the nation would supply a brand new pathway to residency for folks fleeing the battle in Ukraine. Everlasting residency will probably be obtainable to individuals who journey to New Zealand on the non permanent Particular Ukraine Visa earlier than March 15 subsequent 12 months, Little stated.