Right here is the state of affairs on Saturday, August 19, 2023.
- A Russian missile assault on the northern Ukrainian metropolis of Chernihiv killed seven folks and wounded 144, in accordance with officers. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy mentioned the lifeless included a six-year-old lady and that there have been 15 youngsters among the many wounded. “Our troopers will reply to Russia for this terrorist assault – a tangible reply,” he pledged.
- A United Nations official denounced the raid, which got here in the course of the Orthodox vacation of the Transfiguration of the Lord, as “heinous”.
- The strike hit a theatre in Chernihiv’s predominant sq. throughout a gathering of drone producers and aerial reconnaissance coaching faculties, organiser Mariia Berlinska confirmed. Berlinska mentioned the occasion was formally agreed on prematurely with the native authorities and venue.
- Ukrainian officers additionally reported downing greater than a dozen Russian drones in an in a single day assault. Russian forces “attacked from the north with ‘Shahed-136/131’ assault UAVs. A complete of 17 assault drones have been launched from the Kursk area,” the Ukrainian Air Pressure mentioned on Telegram.
- On the battlefield, the Russian military mentioned it “eradicated” 150 Ukrainian troops who tried to cross the Dnipro River into Russian-occupied territory in southern Ukraine.
- In Russia, the defence ministry reported a flurry of Ukrainian drone assaults focusing on the areas of Moscow, Novgorod and Belgorod. It mentioned the drone focusing on the Novgorod area broken a warplane and triggered a hearth at a army airfield.
- The tried assault on Moscow led to a brief closure of Moscow’s Domodedovo and Vnukovo airports, the state-run TASS information company mentioned.
- The Kremlin mentioned Russian President Vladimir Putin travelled to the southern metropolis of Rostov-on-Don, the place he listened to reviews from Valery Gerasimov, the commander in command of Moscow’s operations in Ukraine. He additionally met with different high army brass on the headquarters of Russia’s Southern Navy District.
- Russian Overseas Minister Sergey Lavrov, in the meantime, mentioned in an interview printed on Saturday that Moscow’s nuclear weapons shield it from safety threats and that the Kremlin has to repeatedly remind the West of the dangers of a nuclear battle.
- Ukraine’s Defence Minister Oleksii Reznikov mentioned coaching has begun for Ukrainian troops to function United States F16 fighter jets and added that the method may take no less than six months and presumably longer.
- Zelenskyy met with Sweden’s Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson in Harpsund, west of the Swedish capital, Stockholm, and requested for Gripen air jets to spice up Ukraine’s air defences. The Ukrainian president and first girl, Olena Zelenska, later met Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia at a palace within the space.
- Ukraine and Sweden additionally signed an settlement that can see Kyiv start manufacturing of Sweden’s CV90 fight automobile.