We by no means realized how a lot it rains in Portland till we moved right here on the flip of the season. We’ve visited at the very least annually, however it all the time occurred to be summer time. The summers in Oregon are wonderful, and the individuals right here dwell for them.
The “weirdness” of Portland apart, the most important factor I first seen had been individuals carrying waterproof gear rain or shine. Even on days with sunny forecasts, individuals nonetheless assumed there might be rain. Figuring out it could be vastly totally different from sunny San Diego, we slowly began shifting over our wardrobe. We packed away our beloved flip flops and swapped them out for rainboots.
For those who’re planning on visiting or shifting, we put collectively some tips about how you can costume in Portland (a sensible information).
THE BASIC RULES
- Be Ready for Rain – As you possibly can see, rain is only a truth of life up right here. No matter what season you’re visiting, come ready with a raincoat.
- Skip the Umbrella! – Locals don’t use them and actually, they’re form of a ache. A raincoat is all the time most well-liked, and if it’s only a mild mist, most locals simply suck it up and cope with it.
- Be Ready to Get Outside – Portland is a superb hub for outside actions. You’ll be able to discover the excessive desert, drive out to the coast, go hunt waterfalls, or play within the water. For those who’re ready for it to cease raining to earlier than you exit, you’ll you should definitely have cabin fever.
- The Model – Individuals put on numerous muted colours right here. If you wish to mix in, suppose garments from the 90s or outside informal. You’ll be able to principally do all of your buying at REI, Patagonia, or Arcteryx (if you wish to get fancy and faux to be further outdoorsy 😜). We like our shiny reds, and it doesn’t matter to us as a result of Asians stick out like a sore thumb anyway.
- At all times Pack Layers – Relying on what you’re doing every day, the climate can change primarily based on the place you might be. It could be good and heat throughout the day within the metropolis, however once you head out to the gorge and do a hike, the temps could drop. Then as you head as much as Pittock Mansion for sundown, it will likely be a lot cooler and windier. It’s all the time good to have layers ready so you possibly can modify accordingly.
- Don’t Overlook Your Footwear – As a result of it rains loads, take into consideration your footwear. Waterproof boots are a superb secure wager all through the entire 12 months.
WHAT WE WEAR
On a median day, that is now what we appear to be and our typical each day outfit. What you layer beneath doesn’t matter as a lot. These days, I’ve been switching extra of my wardrobe to incorporate extra efficiency items, and whereas it’s not 100% mandatory, I like my fast dry pants!
Tops / Layers (hers)
Waterproof Footwear (hers)
Tops / Layers (his)
Waterproof Footwear (his)
SEASONS AND TEMPERATURES
Though there are 4 distinct seasons in Portland, none of them are excessive.
- Summer season begins in July and runs to September. It’s the driest time of 12 months and what individuals transfer to Portland for. Temperatures common round 80, with a spike over 100 for a day or two annually. Nights keep round 60 levels.
- Fall is a brief season and normally runs from October to mid-November. Temperatures begin dropping to the excessive 60s and low 70s, with nights within the mid-50s. Because the month progresses, temperatures drop one other 10 levels. The timber begin altering colours however received’t keep for lengthy.
- Winter normally is available in mid-November and goes till mid-March. Temperatures keep within the 40s and 50s, however it is going to get under freezing just a few occasions all through the season. It rains loads and a typical winter will carry some snow 4-5 occasions per season.
- Spring continues to remain moist and wet, however temperatures start to rise 10 levels every month. Between mid-March and June, you’ll slowly see it transition again into summer time.
HOW MUCH DOES IT REALLY RAIN IN PORTLAND?
Portland is understood for its rain. Apparently sufficient, town doesn’t make the highest ten U.S. cities with the very best annual rainfall. The place it excels (or blows relying on viewpoint) is the variety of wet days. Portland ranks third on the record of cities with the rainiest days with 164 wet days a 12 months.
NOAA (Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) has saved climate information for over 50 years in Portland and listed below are among the attention-grabbing stats:
- Annual Sunshine – The suns shines about 48% of the time. Out of a attainable 267,955 minutes, Portland averaged 128,618 minutes of the sunshine between 1951 and 1995.
- Winds – The prevailing winds within the between April and September is NNW at 6.5 -7.6 mph. The winter months carry winds from the ESE.
- Rain – Almost 90 p.c of the annual rainfall happens from October by Could.
Even for those who’re visiting in the summertime, we extremely advocate bringing a light-weight raincoat.
DOES IT SNOW IN PORTLAND?
Sure, it does snow in Portland and its surrounding areas. The largest issue is elevation. Town itself doesn’t obtain a lot snowfall annually, however it may very well be rain within the metropolis and snow up on the hills. We dwell on the east facet of town, and sometimes occasions our good friend who lives up within the west hills will get snow after we’re solely seeing rain.
Since we moved, we’ve seen fairly a little bit of snow. A few weeks in the past we even had a 24-hr interval of fixed snow leading to one of many largest snowfalls in a very long time. Individuals maintain telling us that this was the worst 12 months to maneuver right here and that they’ve by no means seen so many snow days within the low 30s. Blame it on El Niño or no matter you need, however simply come ready!
Do you attempt to keep away from touring to cities throughout their wet season? What are your favourite wet cities?