You could take a look at this BMW X3 M and be fooled into considering it’s merely a tall M3, or an alternative to the M3 Wagon the US by no means acquired. However this X could be very a lot its personal factor, and the F97 is BMW’s first try at a small efficiency SUV. This BMW purchaser information will enable you kind via BMW’s mini mighty X.
Understanding the BMW X3 M
POGs, or Product Ordering Guides, are a wonderful solution to start.
As of 2024, the X3 M remains to be in manufacturing, however this will probably be its last yr on the present platform, dubbed F97.
The X4 M is similar design, however encompasses a sloped roof for a sportier look. The X4 M is sort of equivalent for the aim of this information, with the identical choices accessible.
The BMW X3 M vs the Competitors
You possibly can order your X3 M one among two methods:
- The bottom mannequin, with 473 horsepower and 457 lb-ft of torque. It’s distinguished by chrome badging and smaller wheels, although you’ll be able to order bigger ones from the Competitors Bundle. Talking of…
- The Competitors mannequin, with 503 horsepower (a rise of 30), and 479 lb-ft of torque. It additionally options 21-inch type 892M wheels, black badging, Prolonged Merino Leather-based, an M Sport Exhaust (sounds the identical, however has black ideas), Prolonged Shadowline Trim, M Stripes on the seat belts, and M Sport seats from the M3.
In contrast to the M3 and M4, there isn’t any particular purpose to order a base mannequin apart from the $7,000 worth enhance for a Competitors mannequin. No stick is obtainable, neither is a carbon fiber roof. Add the fundamental seats out of an X3 M40i, and the bottom X3 M appears much more naked bones than the M2.
Are there any particular BMW X3 M fashions?
BMW by no means noticed match so as to add a CS or CSL to the X3 M lineup.
That is becoming, as M SUVs are typically extra luxury-oriented than their sedan-based counterparts.
Evaluating the X3 M to the X3 M40i
There’s a big distinction between an everyday X3 and the complete M, however the in-between mannequin strikes an ideal steadiness between the 2.
With its stiff suspension and brutish engine, the complete M mannequin could make an uncomfortable day by day. Being an SUV with a taller experience peak means the X3 M can solely accomplish that a lot to defy physics.
The M40i mannequin make the bottom X3 M superfluous. The B58 engine is extra highly effective than BMW lets on, it’s a way more snug drive, appears almost equivalent inside, and sounds higher (sure, actually).
The lesson right here – get the Competitors bundle, or get an X3 M40i.
What was up to date with the BMW X3 M LCI?
Typically an LCI is minor, however within the X3 M’s case, there’s a reasonably vital replace each inside and outside. For 2022, the X3 M and X4 M acquired:
- Up to date headlights with non-obligatory Shadowline blackout trim
- Up to date tail lights on the X3 M
- A brand new entrance and rear bumper design
- New related grille form to higher conceal the entrance parking digicam
- Inside, there’s a brand new shifter taken from the M3 that replaces the one from an M5.
- A brand new 12.3-inch display screen replaces the ten.3 inch one.
- New HVAC controls that mimic the M3 changed the knob-style from the M5
- A brand new digital dashboard, once more taken from the M3 and changing the extra conventional dial design.
- The beginning button moved from being on the sprint, to down close to the shifter.
- New shade choices, equivalent to Sao Paolo Yellow and Marina Bay Blue.
- Revised suspension that softened the cruel experience.
You’ll have simply learn all that and deduced that the X3 M is equivalent to the pre-LCI G80 M3 on the within, and also you’d be appropriate. Styling is subjective, however I discover the X3 M’s LCI replace to be very complete and one of many higher from BMW. Except you want the unique styling higher, go for the LCI model.
M Efficiency Elements for the BMW X3 M
Comparable as they’re, the X3 M and M3 have a number of variations in the case of carbon fiber:
- The X3 M doesn’t have a carbon fiber roof. You possibly can go for a clear look, or panoramic roof.
- There isn’t any Carbon Look Bundle on the X3 M, nonetheless you’ll be able to select to have a carbon fiber strut brace for $500. No brainer, that possibility.
- Carbon Ceramic brakes aren’t accessible on the X3 M.
- The carbon trim on the inside doesn’t lengthen to the steering wheel. I discover this to be an enormous omission on many M automobiles.
- BMW presents carbon fiber facet gills, mirrors, entrance brake inlets, and shark fin (Aramide), alone with a steering wheel inside. However general, choices are way more restricted.
BMW Particular person
Upon its debut, the X3M and X4 M didn’t have the choice of Particular person paint. Nonetheless, the manufacturing facility that produces these automobiles was expanded for the X7, and with the LCI in 2021, distinctive colours turned an possibility.
On the subject of deciding on your individual colours, BMW is fairly open, and you may get a way of the scope with their shade picker.
X3 M Colour Gallery
The place to search out one, and the significance of doing a PPI
The X3 M began manufacturing in 2020 via current day, with 2024 being its final yr. I’m positive BMW will produce a second era primarily based on the most recent G45 X3 when it debuts later in 2024.
In the meanwhile, you should purchase a brand new one. Past that, look to Automobiles & Bids and Deliver a Trailer. BMWs pop up on a regular basis on these websites, and are virtually all the time in fine condition.
No matter the place you discover one, a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) is important. I can’t sit right here and write that BMW M automobiles are pushed by angels, used solely for selecting up child from day care or taken out solely on date evening together with your boo. I’ve been round a whole bunch of them, and whereas 90% aren’t abused, they’re all pushed arduous (as they need to be).
Personally, I’d avoid any modded automotive. You are able to do that your self, and who is aware of simply how a lot “’bout dat enhance life” the earlier proprietor was, or who did the work. Work receipts might help – if a good store did the upgrades and also you just like the automotive, by all means.
What’s an excellent worth for a BMW X3 M?
Whereas there may be a ton of examples for the M2, M3, and M5, it appears that evidently the X3 M has not but reached that degree of recognition.
A broader search does present about 200 used examples at the moment on the market. There’s virtually no low cost for an LCI model – these are going for properly over $60,000. Decreasing your requirements to the pre-LCI will get you right down to a mean of $45k for some, most with cheap mileage. When you head down this path, you should be cautious. Some seller will record automobiles as a Competitors mannequin, when it clearly isn’t.
As a result of the X3 M gives solely restricted used examples, it’s tough to say if sure choices are value extra. The Comp mannequin completely will probably be, and Particular person colours can typically add to the underside line as properly. My recommendation right here is, if you happen to see an instance you want (and the value is cheap) go for it. It’s unlikely you’ll discover one other precisely the identical, and never for a big low cost.
Widespread issues with the BMW X3 M
The X3 M options maybe BMW’s greatest inline-six thus far, the S58. The engine debuted with this automotive and has since been handed on to the M2, M3 and M4, together with the X4 M.
Fashionable BMWs are tremendously improved with reliability, and the X3 M is not any exception. There aren’t any present main recollects, nor excellent points for the X3 M, though you’ll be able to all the time examine the NHTSA web site to your particular mannequin yr.
It’s additionally crickets on the boards, the place the automotive appears to have largely minor points.
The common X3 does have a number of issues, however the M model is a considerably completely different automotive that doesn’t share many elements with lesser X.
Ought to I purchase a BMW X3 M?
I’ll confess that BMW M SUVs confuse me. They’re naturally tall and huge, placing them at a drawback in comparison with their sedan and coupe counterparts. They excel at defying physics, but it surely’s not all the time an pleasing expertise. 5,000 kilos and 7 inches of floor clearance will all the time restrict you on the finish of the day.
If the M3 Wagon have been an possibility, I’d simply let you know which you need to get.
However you’ll be able to’t get an M3 wagon, and typically an SUV is simply simpler. Even the X3 M is an general snug automotive that gives a ton of cargo room. It’s an appropriate day by day in LCI trim, extra so than the unique, relying upon how hard-core you’re (and the way far you drive day by day).
However hey, if you happen to want the house, just like the look, or are a mum or dad that wishes to have their cake and eat it too, the X3 M is bound to be the good experience on the college pickup line.
Need MWS to overview your automotive?
In the event you stay within the tri-state space and need me to test it out, ship me an electronic mail!
Help Machines With Souls
Commissions could also be acquired for product hyperlinks on this website. Assist out if you happen to can.