As they are saying, birds of a feather flock collectively, and on this staff, we’re all self-professed obsessives with regards to all issues pizza. What’s to not love? Pizza is a love letter to the seasons, the final word entertaining recipe, and a heat hug on a Friday, pajama-clad film night time. And once you add the most effective store-bought pizza dough to the combo, properly, issues solely get simpler (and in flip, higher).
Whereas I’ve my favourite pizza locations to order from and there’s nothing just like the tactile pleasure of creating your individual pizza dough, a shortcut possibility is at all times welcome. Don’t get me improper: On Saturday nights when I’ve on a regular basis on the earth, it’s splendidly satisfying to pinch dough between your fingers and prime swirls of sauce with all of the cheese and freshly-chopped elements.
However after I’m in a pinch and want to chop some corners, ready-made and easy-to-prep pizza dough from the shop is handy to have available. Whether or not it’s a field of dry combine to maintain within the pantry or recent dough that you may freeze and thaw as wanted, we tried ten totally different pizza doughs, ranked all of them, and topped the most effective store-bought pizza dough to maintain available when the craving strikes.
Featured picture by Michelle Nash.
- Taste: For our style testing staff, we stated a superb pizza crust ought to have that fermented yeasty taste that’s properly salted so it doesn’t simply style like bland flour.
- Texture: Chewy over bready.
- Ease of Use: The entire level of a prepared made or simple to assemble crust must be that it’s prepared in a cinch and makes our life simpler.
- Good Pizza Take a look at: Does the crust work properly when topped with sauce and toppings.
Testing Course of
- This taste-off was barely totally different from earlier ones in that with pizza, we usually like recent and scorching pizza. Every crust was made recent and tasted straight away with preliminary notes taken, then tasted once more with all completed crusts.
- The opposite callout is that the majority pizza crusts often include toppings. For this style off, we made half of the dough topped with sauce and cheese to check the dough’s capacity to face as much as extra moisture, in addition to baking half of the crust plain by itself to concentrate on stand-alone taste and texture.
Preserve scrolling to seek out out the winners of this taste-off!
The Greatest Retailer-Purchased Pizza Dough, Ranked
When it got here to the outcomes, one factor was clear: the recent dough and refrigerated dough choices enormously outranked the dry mixes on each texture and taste. Whereas dry combine gave us the possibility to make a crust from scratch, there have been a number of variables that might impression the ultimate product from a dry combined dough.
We didn’t love the marginally oily taste on this one, and the feel reminded us extra of a roll-out pie dough than a pizza crust. Our tasters thought this is likely to be good to make a quiche with, however not a pizza.
- Texture: Pie dough
- The place to purchase: Walmart, Kroger, Sam’s Membership
- Common worth: $3.50
This dry combine pizza dough ended up being extra bready in texture than a chewy dough. The flavour was additionally paying homage to white bread greater than pizza. Wonderful in case you’re making bread, however alas, that’s for one more taste-off to return.
- Texture: Bready
- The place to purchase: Amazon, Kroger, Meijer
- Common worth: $1.29
In full transparency, I grew up with the ready-made Boboli pizza crusts, so I knew what we have been entering into. Most tasters didn’t benefit from the barely tangy and savory taste as they felt it was overpowering and too ahead when you think about extra delicate toppings. Nonetheless, if we toasted this one within the oven and slathered butter on it, we wouldn’t complain.
- Texture: Chewy, good air pockets
- The place to purchase: H-E-B, Walmart, Kroger, Jewel Osco
- Common worth: $3.99
Whereas this ready-made refrigerated dough baked up tremendous, the feel was barely crispy and slightly chewy on the perimeters. The flavour felt like we have been consuming Pillsbury crescent rolls and bread dough reasonably than pizza. I imply, we love the pop tube crescent rolls, however they’re not fairly pizza.
- Texture: Barely crispy, chewy edges
- The place to purchase: Goal, Jewel Osco, Walmart, Meijer
- Common worth: $4.59
We had excessive hopes for this dough due to using beer instead of water in mixing collectively. Whereas this dry combine nonetheless had extra chew than a few of the others and a pleasant taste to it that leaned yeasty, it was nonetheless simply barely on the bready aspect for us. Total good, however may need to tweak the prep methodology to make sure chew.
- Texture: Chewy, however leaned bready
- The place to purchase: Complete Meals
- Common worth: $5.49
Among the many dry mixes, Betty Crocker simply barely edged out the competitors primarily based on the crispy edges and chewy interiors. The dough had just a few air bubbles that we favored our slices, however what stored the dry mixes like this one from reaching the highest was once more leaning barely bready. We did have a number of tasters say they’d hold a pouch of this combine of their pantry for just-in-case pizza nights although!
- Texture: Crispy edges, chewy interiors, and good air bubbles. Barely bready.
- The place to purchase: H-E-B, Amazon, Jewel Osco, Meijer
- Common worth: $1.54
2. Dealer Joe’s
It was a detailed name between our winner and TJ’s recent dough. The dough was very chewy with good air pockets like those you’d get at a restaurant pizza oven. Whereas the flavour was good, it wasn’t as yeasty and flavorful as our winner, however nonetheless an amazing choice to have available for pizza night time. This pizza dough held up properly to the sauce and toppings as properly.
- Texture: Chewy, good air pockets, restaurant-quality.
- The place to purchase: Dealer Joe’s
- Common worth: $4
This was a grand slam, everyone-on-the-same-page resolution. Whereas there was slightly dialogue between the WF and TJ’s ready-made dough, what despatched Complete Meals over the sting was the flavour and texture. This dough had essentially the most fermented pizza dough taste that all of us loved whereas additionally having further texture from using complete grains. You will discover it within the bakery part or ready-made meals space of your Complete Meals. It held up properly to the sauce and we liked the chewy crust of every slice. If you happen to’re going to have one pizza dough in your freezer for emergency pizza nights, make it this one.
- Texture: Chewy, with extra crunch due to using complete grains.
- The place to purchase: Complete Meals
- Common worth: $4.99
Pizza Recipes to Attempt
In search of inspiration on your subsequent pizza night time? Listed below are just a few favorites I’ll be making an attempt with our profitable store-bought pizza dough:
This submit was initially printed on October 3, 2022, and has since been up to date.